Saturday, October 27, 2007

TRUTHfully the best monologue ever!

I caught a bit of one of my favourite movies today, and was pleased to come into it at precisely my all-time favourite scene! While overall a good story with some decent acting, the main reason I love it is quite simply for a 2-3 minute scene, towards the end. The movie – “A Few Good Men.” The performance – Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup, and Tom Cruise as Lt. Kaffee. Nicholson’s performance won him an Academy Award nomination, and while he truly makes this scene memorable, I believe it’s the writing I envy the most. Hats off to Aaron Sorkin for this masterpiece:

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise):
I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep:
You want answers?
Kaffee:
I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for
Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a *&$# what you think you're entitled to!
Kaffee:
Did you order the code red?
Jessep: (quietly)
I did the job you sent me to do.
Kaffee:
Did you order the code red?
Jessep: You're *&$# right I did!!

Well done. Well done.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That is a great movie, isn't it?? Love it.