Saturday, September 01, 2007

Celebrate Life - Part II

It was just a month ago that I started on my campaign to “Celebrate Life.” Throughout August I have shared the burden the Lord put on my heart for this with those around me, and in so doing I have been amazed the response. I have addressed both small groups and larger groups, and in every instance I have been approached by people who have all said the same thing in response: “that was just what I needed to hear.” Are we really that busy, overwhelmed and weighted down?


As my little campaign has developed, and in fact turned into a form of ministry for me, I have concluded that there are four things we must all do to truly celebrate life: 1) cast our cares; 2) savour the moments; 3) learn to laugh; and 4) count our blessings.


Cast Our Cares: We can’t truly learn to live and celebrate life while weighted down with burdens. I Peter 5:7 calls us to “Cast all your anxiety on him (GOD) because he cares for you." Doing so means realizing we can’t control everything, nor can we do anything on our own strength. We must lay our burdens at His feet and rely on Him to carry us through.


Savour the Moments: As I said in my previous blog, we need to learn to savour the big and small moments in life. Take a walk on a warm evening and enjoy the sunset, enjoy sleeping in on a Saturday morning, get down on the floor and be silly with that two-year-old that’s driving you crazy, and take an extra moment to tell someone you love them. Life is short - savour every moment.


Learn to Laugh: Have you ever noticed how contagious laughter can be? Or how people are drawn to laughter? I am convinced that this is a key ingredient missing in many of our churches, but what better place to truly let loose and have some fun! We are people saved by grace, and filled with joy unspeakable! We should be smiling from ear to ear and celebrating life to the fullest, and yet we sit in our pews on Sunday half asleep, and looking more like we are in mourning than in celebration! Can you imagine the impact your church would have if it loosened up and showed the world that it could have some fun?


Count Your Blessings: So often we go to God with our problems, or share our concerns with others, but when was the last time you thanked God for all He’s blessed you with, or told someone what God has done in your life! We have so much to be grateful for, and counting your blessings -- especially in times when life seems to be giving you lemons -- is a great way to lift your spirits and remember that life is good!


A few weeks ago I hosted an evening in our home with the ladies of our church, and I shared with them a verse from Proverbs 31 that describes a woman who has truly learned to celebrate life. Proverbs 31:25 says “Strength and Dignity are her clothing and she smiles at the future.” In Hebrew the word “strength” means “a mighty fortress, powerful stronghold.” God is our mighty fortress! He has the strength we lack. “Dignity” refers to God’s beauty and majesty – this is a woman who radiates God’s love and joy! Finally, “smile” in Hebrew literally means to laugh, to celebrate, to enjoy life! This woman is truly casting her cares, savouring the moments, laughing at life and counting her blessings. I want to BE this woman.


Wont’ you join me in my quest to be more intentional about celebrating life?


Cast your cares on Him! Savour the moments this month! Learn to laugh at yourself. Count your blessings… and as you do, you will celebrate life!


P.S. In August I used the "odd holidays" on the calendar to remind me to celebrate life and savour the moments each day. I invite you to join me as I continue to do this through the month of September. You can find a list of the holidays online at: http://www.holidaysinsights.com/moreholidays/september.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this Shari. Please add me to your list of grateful sojourners. Timely words.