Saturday, January 02, 2010

"Run Up the Flagpole and See If Anyone Salutes" Day

I'll be honest, when I read the name of this "holiday" I was baffled. How and why on earth would you do such a thing as a way to celebrate a day? And who in their right mind thought that would be a good "holiday"?!?!

However it turns out that this day is more easily celebrated than you might think. According to Holiday Insights, "run up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes" is an expression used by those in the advertising and print media world. It means to "float an idea to see what people think or if they even notice." Their advice is to be creative. "Use this day to try and test new ideas and concepts. Don't limit the ideas to business applications. In your personal life, try out a new dress or clothing style, perhaps a different haircut. Or, maybe buy a new houseflag and run it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes...or even notices."

So, since this blog concept is still so new, and frankly because I'm too exhausted from being up all night with a sick toddler, I'm using my overall concept of this "365 Celebrations" blog as my "new idea" that I'm "floating out there" to see if anyone notices! If you are reading this, I'd love your feedback on the overall concept of this blog, the idea of finding things to celebrate everyday, and the intent to put meaning and purpose into even the most mundane of days. Here I am, "running up my flagpole." Has anyone noticed?

What will you do to celebrate today?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I noticed!! And I like the concept of embracing the new, trying the new, etc etc!! :D

Anonymous said...

I noticed as well! I always love how you celebrate so many different holidays, and think it's fantastic. :)

I'm all celebrated out right now, so I'm "celebrating" by enjoying the peace and quiet of being at home, after spending 2 weeks with family in Hawaii, and then at my parents house, where there were almost 20 of us, including 2 small and rambunctious little boys. I'm LOVING the quiet right now. :)

Shari Lau said...

Thanks ladies. You both made me smile. ;-)

Natasha said...

I noticed too! Albeit, a bit late... I really like the idea. I have another friend who's doing a 365 photo blog this year. One year of photos to capture family memories and improve her photography skills. Fun!