Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Sandwich Grouch

It's not often we go through a day without one of us being "grouchy" at some point, so I figured today's day of celebration would be pretty easy. How hard could it be to find a grouch to do a favour for?

So I was surprised when I encountered an opportunity, outside of my immediate family, to do a favour for a grouchy person. It happened on my way home from a few hours in the office. I picked up some groceries and then swung by a favourite sandwich shop to pick up some lunch. It was there that I met.... the Sandwich Grouch. She seemed tired, frustrated and not at all pleased with the work she had to do. I placed my order, and as she asked me questions about I wanted on our sandwiches I did my best to be polite, thanking her, saying please and smiling. And you know... a funny thing happened. By the end of our transaction she was smiling too. She wished me well as I left, and smiled back. What started out as a rocky interaction between customer and sandwich maker, turned into a nice moment between two women who will likely never meet again. It felt good to make her smile, simply for being polite.

What did you do to celebrate today?

Tomorrow: Random Acts of Kindness Day (Love this one!)

No comments: