Monday, April 05, 2010

Creating a new holiday...

I wasn't sure what I would choose to celebrate today given the choices, and went to bed last night deliberating on my options:

"Dyngus Day" (which is a tradition in Poland where the men throw water at the women on the Monday following Easter) sounded like it would be fun... NOT!

"Go For Broke Day" is all about taking risks and frankly, we are already on a risky adventure as we wait for an open door in ministry.

"Raisin and Spice Day" sounded good only to me ... hubby and daughter not so much.

And "Caramel Day" well, no thanks. I'm not into caramel.

This morning, however, I awoke to the sounds of my daughter playing happily in the living room, the smell of coffee brewing, and the clattering of bowls and baking pans in the kitchen. My hubby, the gem of a man I married 12+ years ago, got up with our toddler when she woke at 6:30 a.m., and proceeded to bake a coffee cake (from scratch, with real butter and crushed pecans) using a recipe he knows I love. He is amazing. It was amazing. And he's never baked before!

What followed then, was a wonderful day of spontaneity. We showered and packed a lunch while our daughter napped this morning. Then we packed up the car and headed into the city to enjoy some fun at the aquarium. Following two hours of staring at fishes (all she could handle given the short attention span of a 17 month old), we enjoyed some popcorn, fed the ducks, and then tucked our little girl in her car seat for a nap as we slowly crusied our way home. (Oh, and we stopped at a local Japanese favorite too to pick up dinner!) A good time was had by all as we enjoyed our family monday, and the best part --- I didn't have to cook at all! ;-)

So today we started a new holiday tradition for our family. An Easter Monday full of family time, adventures out and good food!

What did you do today?

Tomorrow: Plan Your Epitaph Day; Sorry Charlie Day; National Caramel Popcorn Day

No comments: