Friday, April 02, 2010

Hot Crossed Buns

The weather today seemed fitting given that it's Good Friday. As I sit here typing the wind is howling and the rain is pouring down. I often wonder what the day of the crucifixion was like, and imagine it being a day like we are having today. Heaven weeped that day, and I would guess the weather mirrored that.

But in the midst of the gloom of the day today was a sweetness in our home as the house filled with the aroma of freshly baked hot crossed buns. (No, I didn't bake them...). The warmth and sweetness of these buns a direct contrast to the sourness and coldness of the day outside. It seemed to represent the hope that we know exists in what otherwise would seem like a truly gloomy Friday. Hope that, while Friday looks bleak, Sunday is coming!

I am continually thankful that the story didn't end with that gloomy day on the cross. For in the sadness of that day, lingered a hope that there was something big coming! Praise God!

As we look toward the hope of Sunday, I close with a personal favourite:



What did you do to celebrate today?

Tomorrow: Tweed Day; National Chocolate Mousse Day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing about the weather today too. I didn't leave the house until the early evening, and it was pouring and crazily windy. Very fitting to the day, indeed. Hopefully the power won't go out, though, since I'm watching the hockey game! :)