Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Daring to be Disturbed

Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves.
When our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely because we sailed too close to shore.
Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery;
Where losing sight of land
We shall find stars.
We ask you to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push us in the future
In strength, courage, hope and love.
 
~Sir Francis Drake, December 1577

3 comments:

Natasha said...

I love that!

Anika Lacerte | The Handcrafted Story said...

Thank you for posting this Shari, I have heard bits of it but didn't realize it was part of a poem.

Most recently, I think I remember it from a song by Lance Odegard called Pilot Me. I worked with Lance at House of James.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful & moving...