Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just "Love Them Like Jesus"

I've been thinking a lot about this song, "Love Them Like Jesus," by Casting Crowns lately. Mostly because my husband, a fairly new pastor, is in the midst of his first experience in walking someone through the impending death of a loved one.

He asked me the other day, "what do I say to her?" "Nothing," I replied. "Just love her through it."

There are times, as Dr. James Dobson puts it so well, when God just doesn't make sense. But that doesn't mean He doesn't care. Nor does it mean that we, in our human finiteness, need to feel obligated to have all the answers. In my husband's role as pastor in this instance, but applicable to all of us with friends or family going through a time of trial, his only job is to love them, to carry them through it, and to remind them that God is there.


No comments: