Monday, February 01, 2010

Freedom

Today was National Freedom Day, a day (in the US at least) set aside to celebrate freedom from slavery and recognize America as a symbol of freedom. It was a good day to reflect on the freedoms we enjoy in general - the freedom to vote, to worship, to pray, etc. We are blessed as a nation and continent.

But it was good to reflect too on the freedom we have in Christ. In my day to day work, I am reminded constantly of the suffering in this world. I often sit and wonder how anyone, who does not have the hope found in Christ, can endure the trials that come their way. So today I thanked God for freedom - freedom from the hopelessness of this world, freedom to pray and worship Him openly, the freedom to work openly for an organization that serves Him and is devoted to His purpose, and most importantly the freedom I have from the bondage of my own sin. What a freedom!

How did you celebrate today?

Tomorrow: Ground Hog Day! Bill Murray... here we come!

No comments: