Monday, February 22, 2010

Humility

Out of the three options provided by Holiday Insight's website today, I chose to acknowledge "Be Humble Day." I was intrigued at the idea of finding a way to celebrate a day focused on humility. And while it feels odd to write about being humble, when the simple act of just typing those words feels prideful, perhaps my lessons in humilty today can help whomever reads this in their own struggles.

Humility does not come naturally. It takes work to put aside your own ego; to swallow your pride and acknowledge that someone else's way could be better than your own. Humility is about putting aside your own needs, wants, and desires and serving others.

I then considered the emotions I've been struggling with lately. As the mother of a now 16 month old, I often find myself feeling guilty for occassionally resenting the way my daughter has changed my life. Simple things like sleeping in, taking a long shower and leisurely getting ready for church, and even just sitting and quietly enjoying a cup of coffee feel like distant memories. And while I love her more than life itself, I have to admit to selfishly wishing on occassion that things could go back the way they were before we had kids.

So today, after a weekend-long battle with selfish resentment, I chose to spend my day of humility into a day full of the act of serving this little one. With each tear, tantrum, diaper mess, dinner mess, and mischeivous act, I chose (often with difficulty) to humbly remember that she comes first. That she deserves my very best. That it is a privilege to be the one who wipes her butt, nose, hands, face, feet, hair, the walls, the carpet, the windows.... etc. And as I did so, I was reminded of just how many times Jesus humbly served humanity... even when we didn't deserve it.

What did you do to celebrate today?

Tomorrow: Tennis Day

No comments: