Wednesday, April 07, 2010

My Favourite Recipe

Today's celebration of choice? National Coffee Cake Day! I had planned on making my favourite coffee cake recipe in honour of the day, but as I said in a post a few days ago, my hubby beat me to it! So, as we savour the last crumb of cake from the amazing job he did, I decided the best way to celebrate today was by sharing the recipe with you! This recipe is a family favourite, passed on to me by my mom, who got it from a friend off the mission field! Full of memories, full of flavour, and full of the good things that make cakes like this so good... calories! :-) Enjoy:

Strussel Coffee Cake

1. Beat together: 1 egg, 1/3 cup butter or magarine, and 1 cup of sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together: 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
3. Mix dry ingredients, along with 1 cup of milk, alternately with the egg mixture until well blended. (Optional: add frozen blueberries before pouring into pan.)
4. Pour into a 9x9 (for a thicker cake) or 9x13 (for a thinner version) greased pan.
5. Top with a crumbly mixture of the following: 1/2 c chopped nuts, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/4 c flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 3 Tbsp melted butter (mix until crumbly).
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for aprox 60 mins (for 9x9 pan) or 30 mins (for 9x13 pan) or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

What did you do to celebrate today?

Tomorrow: All is Ours Day; Draw a Picture of a Bird Day; National Empanada Day

No comments: