Friday, April 09, 2010

You say Potato

Yesterday was National Empanada Day... a day I would have gladly celebrated with a fabulous recipe from my years in Ecuador, if it were not for the house guests we had, the cold bug that robbed both my daughter and I of sleep, and the sudden hospitalization of my mother-in-law all in one day! As a result, instead of trying my hand at making yummy empanada de carne, I wiped noses, made beds, worried and hung by the phone and wondered how our life had gone from "boring" to "chaotic" overnight. (Again a less on "control.")

Regardless of how spectacularly unfestive or un-celebratory our day was, I did think about how the empanada is really a world-wide food. While in Ecuador and in most Latin American countries it's called an empanada (stuffed bread or pastry), the Asian cultures have their versions of it in the form of spring rolls, pao, or post-stickers. Then there are India's samosas, Jamaica's patties, American fried pies, English cornish pasties, Italy's calzones, etc. All in all.. YUM! ;-)

What did you do to celebrate yesterday?

Today: Name Yourself Day; Winston Churchill Day; National Chinese Almond Cookie Day

No comments: