Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Rocky Roads...

Today was a celebration of rocky roads. The sweet kind of course. But as I "baked up" a batch of "no bake" rocky road squares today, it occurred to me that I could be "celebrating" the other kind of rocky road - the rocky road that is life. Or at least our life of late.

Growing up in Ecuador, I can honestly say I've had my taste of some seriously rocky roads. But what occurred to me today is that if I had avoided all the rocky roads in mi tierra linda, I would have missed out on seeing some incredible sights! For it was down those rocky, and often treacherous roads that we would turn a corner and see magificant mountains, breath taking water falls, delicate orchids and truly mind blowing scenery. Had I chosen to stay in the safety of the city and it's paved (although frankly just as bumpy) roads, I would have missed out on the treasures of the Amazon jungle or the Andes mountains.

That got me thinking about life and the not-always-so-smooth journey we are on. As I've alluded to in previous posts, our journey right now is especially rocky as we wait on where the Lord will lead us next in ministry. It's been a rocky road full of doubt, regret, grief, anxiety and tears; but just around every corner on the road has also been laughter, miracles, encouragement, love and other reminders that the Lord has not forgotten us. Would I choose to go down this rocky road again? No. But am I grateful for the experience and the treasures I have gleaned along the way? Absolutely!

So bring on the rocky road. For I know who is driving my car, and I know that He will lead me to the treasures He has along the way as we travel to our destination!

************************************************
What have you done to celebrate life today?

Tomorrow: Repeat Day; National Chocolate Macaroon Day; National Egg Day

No comments: