Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Summer's Arrival

While we have been complaining that summer had yet to arrive on the west coast, it appears that it's finally here and here with some serious heat! With temperatures forecast to be in the 30s in our area tomorrow, I'm starting to turn my attention to the random holidays that allow for cool treats, shady games and indoor (air conditioned) activities.

The past few days of celebration have looked like this:

Sunday, July 4th, was of course US Independence Day, but it was also National Country Music Day. To celebrate, we watched a bit of a July 4th special on TV, just in time to hear Leanne Rimes belt out a country song. While not normally a fan of country, I took the opportunity to roll two celebrations into one. ;-)

Monday was workaholics day, which was fitting since I had to work. I'm finding it easy to be a workaholic when you work from home... the downside being that your work is always right there, begging for you to do it. I did more than my share on Monday as a result, which I guess is fine since that was the best way to celebrate a day that really should not fall in July!

Tuesday was Fried Chicken Day. Had we decided to picnic outside it he gorgeous sunshine I would have agreed to KFC simply so we could celebrate this...but with work and other duties calling we resorted to wading in our kiddie pool while daddy grilled chicken so that mommy wouldn't have to sweat in the kitchen! ;-) We 1/2 celebrated this day I guess...

Today's celebrations of choice are all food related: Strawberry Sundae Day, Macaroni Day and Chocolate Day. Hum... which one to celebrate???? ;-) While the heat of the afternoon will likely have me drooling for the coolness of a strawberry sundae, or even the coolness of a macaroni salad, I'd be crazy to pass up a day that would give me the legitimate excuse to indulge in some chocolate! ;-)

What have you done to celebrate of late?

Tomorrow: Milk Chocolate with Almonds Day; Video Game Day.

No comments: