Thursday, September 23, 2010

True Confessions

Ok, I'll admit it. I used to be one of those childless people who watched parents and their unruly children with judgement in my eyes. I used to mutter under my breath things like "Discipline. Ever heard of it?", and watched episodes of SuperNanny in utter amazement at how some parents could be so naive when it came to parenting. I prided myself in believeing that I knew exactly what I would do in their situation, and even quoted from books and well-known parenting experts to back up my beliefs. But then something remarkable happened...

... I became a parent. 

This week, I have eaten my words. I haven't blogged in just over a week now, because all hell has broken lose in our home. That haughty attitude I used to carry, has been replaced by the sheer humility and feeling of utter helplessness that comes from doing battle with a strong-willed, soon-to-be two-year-old. Almost as if overnight, our adorbaly cute, compliant and well-behaved baby has transformed into a self-absorbed, know-it-all, "I want it NOW!" toddler, and everything I thought I knew about parenting and discipline has gone out the window. I'm now the one sitting red-faced as passers-by stare at my child's demon like temper tantrum and roll their eyes at me. I'm the one crying into my pillow in my bedroom as I listen to the sounds of a full-blown temper tantrum take place outside the door. And I'm now the one desperately reading all the expert tips and taping episodes of SuperNanny

Bill Cosby was once quoted as saying, "Give me 200 active two-year-olds and I could conquer the world." I used to think that was funny -- even cute. Now I chuckle and sigh at the same time, and seriously consider putting my daughter up for adoption. "What have we gotten ourselves into?" has now replaced the "let's try and have another one" conversation with my husband. And instead of meeting for a hot date to rekindle the flame of our romance, we are finding ourselves collapsing into bed at the end of the day for an emergency meeting to hammer out new battle tactics! 

And so while the past week of celebrations has come in second to the joys and frustrations of parenthood, I resolve to find a way to celebrate in spite of it all. I promise to rejoice and celebrate the fact that I have a daughter, instead of complaining that her actions are driving me to drink. And, I pledge to celebrate the little moments when she's still and quiet, cute and adoring, and will cling to those memories in times when I'm pulling my hair out. 

Here's to celebrating the good, bad, happy and sad. Now...

... what's SuperNanny's number?

2 comments:

Ying Jie-Jie said...

you are a wonderful, loving and caring mother. that's one more thing to celebrate, shari. be good to yourself. ... and someone once told me ... "this too shall pass".

hugs,
angelina

julie said...

AAAAAmen! :-) I honestly have no idea how people are brave enough to have a second child. Maybe the toddler attitude will get a little better once those teeth come in? Here's to hoping!