Friday, October 08, 2010

Flutter...what?

It's "Flutter...what???" That was my reaction when reading Punchbowls.com's random holiday for today. Apparently, today is "Flutter nutter Day." I say again, "flutter...what?"

Let's face it, I grew up on the mission field. As a result, there were some delights of the North American childhood experience that I missed out on. However I am happy to say that "Flutter nutter" is not one of them. When I learned what "flutter nutter" was, well, let's just say I "revisited" my breakfast. Disgusting. 

For those of you who are just as oblivious now as I was this morning, a Flutter nutter is ... get this... a sandwich. According to Whats Cooking America, a flutter nutter is a peanut butter and... drum roll please... marshmallow fluff sandwich. To use a term from the 80s, "gag me with a spoon!" Why on earth would you want to ruin peanut butter, or for that matter two perfectly good slices of bread, with marshmallow. And not just any marshmallow... but "fluffed" marshmallow. The whole idea literally makes me want to vomit.

And so I'm left with a dilemma. How do I celebrate something that makes me want to hurl? After careful consideration, it occurred to me that this was the perfect opportunity to add to my 1000 gifts list! No, I'm not (nor will I ever be) thankful for flutter nutter. However, I am thankful for the abundance of food we enjoy that allows for the creativity (or insanity... it's a fine line sometimes) of such odd concoctions to exist. And so... while choking back the lunch I just ate... I give you: The Flutter Nutter.

No comments: