Saturday, February 12, 2011

May the Word of My Mouth...

What does it say about our world, and about the culture in which we live, when the most popular post of all time on my blog has and continues to be "When God Doesn't Make Sense"?

A while back I discovered the ability to review the "stats" for my blog. This tool allows me to see where my readers are coming from (geographically), how they are finding my blog, and what posts are getting read the most. I was amazed then, and was reminded of it again today, to learn that the post I wrote way back in April of 2007, continues to be the most read post in all of my entries. Readers of this particular piece come from all over the world, and they find it by doing a Google search. Yes. Google.

It turns out, actually, that doing such a Google search brings my post up in 3rd place... just below Amazon.com's ad and Amazon.ca's ad for Dr. Dobson's book by the same title.

Think about that for a moment. Someone in say, Denmark, does a search on Google for the words when-god-doesn't-make-sense, and in the results they stumble on my blog. This knowledge creates in me a number of things... I am humbled by this, that God would allow my words to (I hope) bring someone comfort. I am surprised by this, that my words and the experience that led me to write them, would be read by so many. But mostly I am saddened by this. Yes. Saddened.

It saddens me that there are so many people out there suffering, struggling with loss of faith, and asking whether or not they can trust God. It saddens me that these same people are turning to the internet in their time of need, relying on Google to give them the answers they seek. Where is the church in this? Has our message as the Bride of Christ been so silenced or tainted that Google is the better choice when faced with suffering? I hope not, but it certainly makes me stop and think.

It makes me wonder what more we could be doing to make an impact in a suffering world. It makes me question how I'm living and what I could be changing, so that, in the words of my pastor and the faith community I am a part of, God is made famous. And it makes me think more seriously, and pray all the harder, for the ministry I am called to with the non-profit I work for... knowing that I encounter such suffering daily and have a responsibility to point them to Christ. And it reminds me of the opportunity I have to use this blog to honour Him. 

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Oh Lord, My Rock and My Redeemer. ~Psalm 19:14


2 comments:

Natasha said...

It is amazing how much people turn to Google for this kind of thing... my number one post so far is called Listening to God, and it too has been found in Google searches.

Rachel said...

Psalm 19:14--thanks for the reminder!!
I, too, have been wondering how/if I can step out of my little hermit world and get more involved.