Thursday, March 04, 2010

By the pound...

Did you know that pound cake was named as such because it's made with a pound (each) of the four basic ingredients - flour, butter, eggs and sugar? I've always wondered why it was called "pound cake"... and today was the perfect day to research it. It's National Pound Cake day!

While I had planned on making a pound cake to honour the day, between my lent fast of all things sugar and the lack of energy I had by the time I got around to it today, I decided to postpone the actual baking and eating of pound cake until I had more time and could actually eat it!

Instead, I searched the web for a perfect recipe and was surprised to find a number of variations on the cake of pounds. Chocolate, lemon zest, buttermilk, vanilla, marbled, etc. But the most unique one came from a friend.

Thanks to Meghan, when Lent is over my family and I will dive into an Avocado Pound Cake. Recipe courtesy of the blog Meg pointed me to -- "Joy the Baker."


What did you do to celebrate today?

***********************

Thanks to several tips from friends who know I'm working through the random holidays, I'm following three sites with holiday tips now: Holiday Insights, Holidays for Everyday, and 2010 Food Project. As a result, the list of possibilities for what to celebrate each day is longer, which helps when trying to be creative.

Tomorrow: Employee Appreciation Day; Multiple Personalities Day; National Salesperson Day; Dr. Doolittle Day; Mother-in-Law Day; World Day of Prayer; National Cheese Doodle Day; 8 Hour Day

1 comment:

Funky, Fun & Fabulous Jewelry said...

mmmmm that sounds yummy Shari....

I had no idea it was called pound cake because of the use of a pound of each ingredient. I just assumed because its weight afterwards. Interesting.