Friday, March 05, 2010

Prayer in the Valley of the Shadow...

It had been my intent to celebrate National Salesperson Day today since I had planned to hit the mall with my toddler. And while we did go shopping, and I did act as gracious as possible to every salesperson we encountered, my mind was elsewhere thanks to an early morning message from a friend. As a result, I spent the day unintentionally "celebrating" World Prayer Day instead.

Prayer is a daily, if not hourly part of my life. Whether it be in the desperate pleas to the Lord for patience when my daughter is throwing a temper tantrum, or the "praise and prayer" time of my morning shower routine, I am constantly in conversation with the Lord. But today was different. Today, instead of prayers for patience, requests for wisdom and thanks for the food (or other provisions), I spent every minute in silent, sometimes tearful prayer for a dear friend. A friend who is facing the imminent death of her mother - her closest friend.

The little things I dealt with today seemed small and insignificant in light of what I knew my friend was going through. So today, on this day of "world prayer," my prayers were a mixture of pleas for mercy and peace on behalf of my friend, and tears of gratefulness for my own mom and the joy of being some body's mom.

PSALM 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,

for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


What did you do to celebrate today?

Tomorrow: Lots to choose from! Dentist Day; National Frozen Food Day; Read Aloud Day; Toronto's Birthday; Michelangelo's Birthday; National Chocolate Cheese Cake Day and/or White Chocolate Cheesecake Day; Oreo Cookies Day; Stop Bad Service Day; Alamo Day.

No comments: